The Riceville Utility District was formed in 1953 for the purpose of obtaining a public water system for Riceville.
A Board of Commissioners were appointed to work with the State of Tennessee to purchase land, develop streets and install water mains for private and commercial use.
The water system started out by using a local spring and later (due to demand and quality) treated water was purchased from Hiwassee Utility Commission and is currently used today.
The first service was installed in April 1961 making up a 160 connections and has continued to grow throughout the years; we currently serve around 1400 connections.
Upcoming Events/Updates (newsletter available at the office)
IMPORTANT UP COMING DATES:
- APRIL 2nd- Closed-Good Friday
- APRIL 4th – Easter Sunday
- MAY 9th- Mother’s Day
- MAY 31st- Closed- Memorial Day
- JUNE 20th- Fathers Day
- Install Rain Barrel-Its free of salt and Chemicals that are in most ground or city water sources.
- Chose Drought Tolerant Plants-Can make a huge difference in water use.
- A Thick Layer of Mulch-Helps keep the roots cool, and keeps moisture in the soil.
- Water the soil, not Leaves-Water root zone keeping water off your plant leaves. Helps control fungal diseases and prevents sunscald.
- Don’t Over Water-More water is wasted through overwatering.
TASTE AND ODOR
HERE IS A LIST OF WATER QUALITY COMPLAINTS AND ANSWERS WE AND OTHER UTILITIES HAVE GOTTEN OVER THE YEARS WE HOPE ONE OF THESE WILL HELP ANSWER QUESTIONS YOU MAY BE HAVING.
- METALLIC TASTE-SULFAR IN MEDICATIONS YOU MAY BE TAKING TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.
- CHLORINE ODOR-LOW CHLORINE CALL RUD AND WE WILL FLUSH YOUR LINE.
- SEWAGE ODOR-POUR A ½ CUP OF BLEACH DOWN DRAINS AND RINSE WITH COLD WATER. THE CHLORINE IN WATER IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO KEEP ALL DRAINS ODOR FREE.
- ONION SMELL-CHECK REFRIGERATOR FILTER OR FAUCET FILTER AND REPLACE. FROZEN ONIONS ALSO EMIT SMELL OUTSIDE THE BAG.
- CAT URINE OR AMMONIA ODOR-SPRAY AIR FRESHIONERS REACT WITH NEW CONSTRUCTION, WALL PAPERS, PAINT.
- MUSTY OR OLD WATER SMELL-WATER SOFTENERS NEED FILTER CHANGED OR GARDEN HOSE IS STILL HOOKED UP AND HAS BUILT UP BACTERIA-UNHOOK.
- ODOR FROM ICE-OPEN CONTAINER IN FREEZER OR FILTER NEEDS CHANGED
- ORANGE OR GOLD PIECES IN WATER-WATER SOFTENERS NEED CLEANED
- JELL IN WATER-WATER SOFTENERS GOING BAD THIS CAN STOP OR REDUCE FLOW OF WATER IN HOUSE.
- BLACK PARTICLES-SILVER/GOLD WRAPPED SUPPLY LINES OF SINKS, TOILETS AND HOT WATER HEATERS DESOLVE IN CITY WATER. CALL FOR SUGGESTIONS TO FIX.
- WHITE FLAKE BUILD UP-CALCIUM BUILD UP OR HOT WATER HEATER TEMP. TO HIGH. SHOULD BE ON MED.
- BLACK MOLD ON CLOTHES-FRONT LOAD WASHING MACHINES.
- BLACK-CHARCOAL FILTERS
- WHITE CLOUDY-AIR
- BROWN-HOT WATER HEATER TEMP. TO LOW OR GALVINIZED LINES.
- BLUE-TOILET TANK TABLETS. THERE IS A CLIP ON THE SUPPLY LINE TO THE TOILET THAT PREVENTS BACKFEED IF TAKEN OFF THE TOILET WATER WILL GO INTO THE DRINKING WATER.
- ALGAE-YOU HAVE PUMPS OR TANKS THAT NEED CLEANING OR YOU ARE USING THE WELL OCCASIONALLY.
- If filling with your meter please be considerate to your neighbors and fill pools during the hours of 9pm-5am.
- If paying to have it filled, we have a meter here at the office that can be used.
- Cost for pool fill up is, .53 pre 100 gallons.
- Example: Normal bill 30.00 pool is 20,000-gal 200 x.53 = 106.00 estimate bill: 136.00 + tax.
- If you have any question please give us a call at the office 423-462-2007